In the United States, there were 3.37 million new business applications in the first three quarters of 2020, which is 21% more than in the same period last year.
Driving that trend is not only people being out of work, but also:
– Low interest rates
– People aren’t going out as much; which saves them money
– They have savings /investments to start a business (online, it can take only a few hundred dollars)
– They’ve received government stimulus checks, and as of this writing, it looks like another one may soon be on the way
– The shutdown itself is transforming the old dynamics and creating new opportunities
This article by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce reveals that some small businesses are seeing lots of new and returning customers. Among the categories:
– Cleaning services: professional cleaning services that sanitize offices, restaurants and homes are in high demand.
– Delivery services: but don’t just think about restaurants and grocery stores. What about smaller grocers, pharmacies, hardware stores, laundries, liquor and wine stores, sporting goods stores, convenience stores, coffee shops, auto parts, gardening supplies, etc.?
– Canned and jarred goods companies; take a look at what grocery stores are frequently running out of, creating an opportunity for home-delivered products that fill in the blanks
-Board games: think kids games especially. They are selling well.
– Internet-connected fitness equipment; purchased, delivered and set up for people, plus instructions on how to use them.
– Landscaping and yard care companies; people who are stuck at home think more about the condition of their years, and they like having help attending to it
– Planting services: the Hudson Valley Seed Co. has seen its web-based demand increase five-fold in the past month.
While most of the above businesses require on-location services, people still have to find you, learn what you do, and develop some trust iin you. Those are perfect roles for a small website and some savvy marketing targeted at the area you service.
If you are interested in adapting to the new realities of making a living, here are some great resources for making money online in the manner that appeals to you most:
- If you need help weighing the pros and cons of remote working, or creating an online business of your own, or if you just want to clarify you passions that point to your ideal job, you would do well to get a little help from a life coach. One of the best places to link- up with coach that’s right for you is the free life coach matching service provided by Wainwright Global.
- If you’d like to learn about getting trained and certified as a life coach and make a living as an online coach, check out Wainwright Global’s Life Coach Training Online.
- If you’re drawn to remote working but don’t know how to get started, the Laptop Lifestyle Academy is the perfect program for learning the ropes.
- If your preference is starting an online business of your own, there’s no better place to start than the free course at My Online Startup.